IOSH Managing Safely Programme
Who is it for?
Managers and supervisors keen on managing safely and effectively while complying with organisation’s policy as well as industry code regarding health and safety. The course comprises eight core modules requiring a total direct input period of at least 24 hours plus assessment time. (Course duration – 4 days)
Aim of the course
The course intends to train people trusted with policy implementation in health and safety requirements. They gain the skills needed to review the departmental safety systems. They also learn to introduce new controls or implement appropriate changes to ensure compliance, or make it in tune with the changed requirements.
On successful completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Elaborate on the components of a safety management system such as the systems detailed in HSG 65, BS8800 and OHSAS 18001
- Zero in on the data and techniques needed for producing an adequate record of an incident
- Demonstrate the procedure for an investigation of an accident recognising the various human factors.
- Explain statutory requirements for reporting and procedures for checking on non-reporting
- Delineate methods for fundamental analysis for reactive monitoring data
- Specify ‘risk’ and determine the legal requirements for risk assessment
- Manifest understanding of a quantitative risk assessment technique
- Determine the common hazards in the workplace and the ways to control them
- Delineate the hierarchy of controls
- Draw up and use active monitoring checklists
- Implement various schedules for active monitoring, recording results and analyzing records
- Demonstrate knowledge of the main provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations
- Manifest knowledge of relevant codes of practice and guidance notes
Topics covered in the IOSH Managing Safely course include:
- Introducing managing safely
- Assessing risks
- Controlling risks
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Identifying hazards
- Investigating accidents and incidents
- Measuring performance
- Protecting our environment
Four day programme
Each delegate will be required to undertake a short multiple-choice paper and a workplace-based written assignment.
On successful completion of the IOSH Managing Safely course and the assessed work, candidates will receive an IOSH accredited certificate.